How Do I...
Check out the California Bureau of Real Estate Appraisers' Spring/Summer 2023 Newsletter!
This new edition has information that can be useful to the well-seasoned and newly licensed appraisers.
One of our articles titled, "Using Your Technology-Based Tools Responsibly" discusses the wide variety of technology-based tools that appraisers have access to.
BREA would love to know what you think of our newsletter. If you have any feedback or ideas for future articles, please email our office: email@example.com.
How Changes In Regulations Are Made – the Rulemaking Process
Click on the link above to get an understanding of the Regulation Process and see where PAREA is in the process (PAREA is the alternative to the traditional supervisor/trainee model).
Appraisal Subcommittee (ASC) Hearing focused on the appraisal regulatory system
• BREA’s Bureau Chief Angela Jemmott testified at the hearing along with Jonathan Miller, President and CEO, Miller Samuel Inc.; Michelle Czekalski Bradley, certified general appraiser, chair of the Appraisal Standards Board; Brad Swinney, chief appraiser, Farm Credit Bank of Texas, chair of the Appraiser Qualifications Board; Morgan Williams, general counsel, National Fair Housing.
• The hearing explored the appraisal regulatory system focusing on appraisal standards, appraiser qualification criteria and barriers to entry into the profession, appraisal practice and state regulation.
• The hearing was intended to better understand the current challenges and explore opportunities to improve the appraisal profession, while combatting bias and promoting fair appraisals for all.
• A recording of the hearing can be viewed here: ASC Hearing, May 19, 2023
Approval for Appraisal Institute’s PAREA program, an alternative to traditional supervisor/trainee model:
• A new pathway for aspiring appraisers granted approval from the Appraisal Qualifications Board! PAREA, an online, alternative program for aspiring appraisers expected to make registration available September 2023.
• PAREA Preview: AI PAREA Preview: Immersive Measurement - YouTube
• FAQs PAREA Program: FAQs (appraisalinstitute.org)
• Appraisal Institute PAREA Program Receives Approval from Appraiser Qualifications Board: AI News Releases
• Sign up to learn more: AI PAREA
• Call our office for any additional questions or updates: (916) 552-9000
Please be informed that the following courses must be taken in order to renew a license. Please search for available courses online at https://www.brea.ca.gov/html/SearchCourses.html
EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2023
NEW EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Minimum of at least:
1 Hour of Cultural Competency
Minimum of at least:
1 Hour of Cultural Competency, and
2 Hours of Elimination of Bias
The Bureau of Real Estate Appraisers (BREA) hosted an online discussion, “Educational Roundtable—Addressing Cultural Competency and Elimination of Bias.”
Due to statutory changes this year, beginning in 2023, there will be new educational requirements on applicants and licensees related to cultural competency and the elimination of bias in appraisal practices. The goal of the educational discussion was to identify and evaluate best practices for instruction related to cultural competency and elimination of biases in the real estate appraisal industry and to aid BREA in the development of future course requirements.
Play Recording (2 hrs 53 min)
Recording password: Kyu3gXm9
• BREA also offers other information opportunities to learn about this topic of addressing Cultural Competency and Elimination of Bias. Please note: This is not for CE Credit.
- Real Estate Appraiser Licensing Examination – PSI Online
PSI Online, BREA's examination provider, has provided information on examination sites and rescheduling.
- 2019 Sunset Report
- Frequently Asked Questions
- BREA Licensing Handbook
- BREA Licensing Stats
- Timely License Renewal
- Customer Feedback
- Search for an AMC
- Multiple Department License Lookup
- State Holidays
Subscribe to our email list to get updates and announcements.